When it comes to getting enough sleep, everyone needs it whether you’re a child or an adult. However, doing so can become a significant challenge amidst the hustle and bustle of our daily lives. But that should not be an excuse not to get sound sleep. Unfortunately, research suggests that simply getting good sleep and the right duration is not enough; you should also be sticking to a regular sleep schedule with a consistent pattern.
Establishing a sleep schedule can undoubtedly improve your life and sleep quality and bring a myriad of benefits that we will be discussing in this article. If you have been struggling with woes, stresses, underlying physical and mental health conditions, or more, keep reading to find out what a consistent sleep pattern can do to help.
Importance of Sleep Routine
A regular sleep routine means falling asleep and waking up within the same time window every day. This also allows your body to fall into its circadian rhythm. Your body’s circadian rhythm, which is the internal clock, lets it know when to wake up in the morning and when it is time to unwind after sundown. Melatonin influences the circadian rhythm to function, which is provided to the body from the amount of light present in the environment.
It is essential that you follow when you go to sleep and when you wake up so that your body falls into a constant rhythm and pattern. If not, then your body’s internal clock will be thrown off, and this can cause irritability, drowsiness, headaches, and inefficient cognitive skills. Similarly, you might not even be able to enter deep sleep cycles, which is the quality sleep your brain and body need.
Moreover, straying away from your sleep routine also makes you increasingly vulnerable to health issues. For example, your risk for cardiovascular diseases and heart attacks is doubled when you have an irregular sleep routine. Other than that, your chances for obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes, and stroke increase.
Benefits of Following a Sleep Routine
Now that you know about the risks of not following a regular sleep routine, it’s time to touch upon the benefits you get from pursuing it. They include:
- It improves your cognitive skills and makes you more productive
- Get sick less often
- Lowers your risk of major diseases such as cardiovascular ones, diabetes, high blood pressure, and obesity
- Reduces stress and improves your mood
- It improves your immune system and makes you sick less often
- Prevents weight gain
- Enough sleep gives you energy
- Improves your mood
- It allows you to exercise and work out better
- Improves your memory retention
How to Follow a Sleep Routine
If you have trouble falling asleep and waking up simultaneously, you can follow some sleep solution tips. These lifestyle changes can help you improve your sleep routine, quality, and overall health. They include the following:
- Set the alarm at the same time so you can consistently wake up around the same time, even on the weekends
- Avoid consuming too much caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol
- Limit the amounts of naps you take so you can follow a regulated sleep pattern
- Before bedtime, dim as many lights as you can
- Avoid TV, phones, and computers before going to sleep
- Get a dose of the sun first thing in the morning when you wake up
- Make small changes and adjustments to your schedule to gradually improve your sleep routine
- Limit your activities in bed and only use it for sleep
- Do not eat or drink anything before going to sleep so that you can have a consistent sleep all night and not wake up frequently
You must do whatever it takes to follow and stick to a consistent sleep routine. This will help reduce your risks of major diseases and improve your overall health and cognitive functions. If you have trouble falling asleep, you can always invest in sleep aids like essential oils. The ones from The Goodnight Co. can help you breathe easily and achieve deeper sleep. Start tonight so you can get the rest and sleep you deserve!